Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's all about the gut



It's the days before Valentine's and, you know, everyone's talking about it either in a possitive or negative way, and well... this Valentine's I'm gonna dedicate it to Wallis and Edward. You might wonder... who are they and why have I piked them? Well, I've always been sort of intrigued by them, one of those little-known love stories by our generation, but that at their time must have revolutioned society in such a political way that makes you wonder, how can someone go through life with such a predestined burden. Because ok, let's say that a person's life is not predetermined... A lot of people will agree to that. But I think there's a tiny exeption to this rule: monarchy.

Edward VIII wasn't allowed by the crown nor Parliament to marry Wallis Simpson (a two-times American divorcee). I've always admired George's gut, to stand up in front of the British Empire and say: "I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as king as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love" (Wiki), and let his brother, King George VI stand up to the throne. I wonder what would have happened if he had given up on Wallis... Who'd be king/queen of Britain today? Would Diana have met such a tragic death? Would my infatuation over Prince William be the same?

Many, many questions, but I'm still amazed by the one man strong enough to realise what he wanted, step up to the occasion and make his own destiny, spending the rest of his life with the woman he loved.
 
 
Photo credits.

No comments: