Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Modern women of yesterday



Is it THIINKING time already?? I don't know... but perhaps you'll love this little paragraph I found in my old copy of Chatlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre. Why did I pick this 643 pages-long book when I was barely eleven years-old and just starting to get English beats me. Even more amazing is the fact that I stumbled upon the paragraph I transcript below because I have marked it back in '96. Sometimes I am awed by the eleven-year-old me.

It is in vain to say human beings ought to be satisfied with tranquillity: they must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it. Millions are condemned to a stiller doom than mine, and millions are in silent revolt against their lot. Nobody knows how many rebellions besides political rebellions ferment in the masses of life which people earth. Women are supposed to be very calmed generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrowminded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.

And to think that this book was first published in 1847!!


Ya es la hora de PENSAR denuevo?? Espero que les guste este párrafo que encontré en mi copia de Jane Eyre de Charlotte Brontë. Por qué elegí este libro en inglés de 643 páginas cuando apenas tenía once años y recién empezaba a entender inglés? no sé. Y más me llamó la atención cuando enconté este párrafo (que les transcribo abajo) marcado por mí en el '96. Aveces me sigue sorprendiendo mi versión de once años. .

“Es en vano decir que los seres humanos deben estar satisfechos con la tranquilidad: las personas deben tener actividades y las inventarán si no las encuentran. Millones están condenadas a una inmovilidad aún más silenciosa que la mía, y millones están en rebeldía silenciosa contra su suerte. Nadie conoce cuántas rebeliones, además de las políticas, fermentan en las numerosísimas vidas que las gentes entierran. Se supone que las mujeres generalmente son muy calmadas, pero las mujeres sienten tanto como los hombres, necesitan ejercicio para sus facultades y un terreno para encaminar sus esfuerzos tanto como sus hermanos; sufren las restricciones rígidas, el estancamiento absoluto con la misma intensidad como las sufrirían los hombres, y es estrechez mental que sus compañeros privilegiados afirmen que ellas deberían dedicarse exclusivamente a hacer pasteles y a tejer calcetines, a tocar el piano y a bordar. Es insensato condenarlas o reírse de ellas si buscan hacer más cosas o aprender más de lo que la costumbre ha señalado que es necesario para su sexo."

Y pensar que este libro se publicó por primera vez en 1847!!!

Traducción al castellano de acá.
Book cover by Richard Clifton-Dey for Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, Puffin Classics, 1994

4 comments:

Susanita said...

awed by you 11-year old version actually understanding the meaning of this paragraph..... and awed about this antique modern woman..... sometimes i think we should be a little more like them....

Anonymous said...

una Flor PB auténtica... it's always been inside of you my dearest friend ;)

P said...

I read Jane Eyre at fourteen and it was a conquest. I read it at twenty-eight and it was a revelation. I was so blown away - I'll never forget how much courage it inspired in me at that delicate time in my life.

Anonymous said...

Justo ayer vi un capítulo de Friends en que Rachel y Phoebe van a un curso de literatura y leen Jane Eyre. Rachel no leyó y quiere que Phoebe le cuente todo, pero como a ella le da bronca le inventa que en realidad la protagonista es un robot... jaja, y Rachel no para de hablar de Robocop! Jaja! Perdón por la frivolidad, pero me vino como anillo al dedo tu post! Jaja! Beso Flor!